Do you have an issue with your strata corporation or with another tenant/owner living in your strata building? If you are dealing with a strata dispute and are unable to resolve it either informally or through a strata council hearing, you may be able to take your case to the Civil Resolution Tribunal.
Get in touch with Hoogbruin & Company to speak with a lawyer today!
What Type of Cases Can I Bring to the Civil Resolution Tribunal?
The Civil Resolution Tribunal deals with small claims of up to $5,000 and most strata disputes, excluding those that are regarding matters impacting land, triggering events that took place outside of British Columbia, and certain significant issues within a strata complex.
Examples of Strata Disputes You Can Take to the Civil Resolution Tribunal
- Failure to pay fines or monthly strata fees
- Non-enforcement of strata by-laws
- Unfair or arbitrary enforcement of strata by-laws
- Unfair actions by the strata corporation
- Disputes around who is financially responsible for repairs
- Interpretation of by-laws, legislation, or regulations
- Disputes regarding common property
Examples of Strata Disputes You Cannot Take to the Civil Resolution Tribunal
- The ordered sale of a strata lot
- Court orders in regards to property damages
- The appointment of a strata corporation administrator
- A dispute where the triggering event happened outside of British Columbia
- A dispute where the claim is against the government
How Does Taking a Strata Dispute to the Civil Resolution Tribunal Work?
The Civil Resolution Tribunal is designed to make legal justice accessible and convenient. Civil Resolution Tribunal services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via telephone or online. The Civil Resolution Tribunal strives to resolve disputes in a collaborative, problem-solving manner as opposed to using the conventional courtroom model. The Tribunal will make a fair decision after hearing the details of your case.
If you are interested in taking your strata dispute to the Civil Resolution Tribunal, you are much more likely to get the outcome you want if you talk to a lawyer first in order to determine the best way to proceed and how to present your case. The lawyers at Hoogbruin & Company have extensive experience with strata disputes of all kinds and are dedicated to getting our clients the most positive outcome possible.