Property Litigation Lawyers in Vancouver

It’s unfortunate when simple property disputes turn into more complex issues that require further assessment and steps. Real estate development is growing at a rapid pace throughout British Columbia, which means there are a growing number of disputes to deal with. 

Fortunately, the legal professionals at Hoogbruin & Company are well versed in all types of real estate disputes including: 

  • Certificates of pending litigation
  • Disputes related to commissions, brokers, and agents
  • Disputes pertaining to property encroachment  
  • Mortgage enforcement and priority disputes
  • Claims with respect to statutory building schemes
  • Commercial tenancy disputes
  • Title issues

Put your trust in our legal experience, and we’ll help settle your property litigation disputes in a timely manner.

Certificates of Pending Litigation

A Certificate of Pending Litigation (CPL) is a form of charge registered against land or property where a plaintiff has commenced legal action with an interest in the land. A CPL effectively notifies the land owner and the public of the litigation proceedings and immediately ties up the land owner’s ability to sell the land, transfer it, or mortgage it.

We’re experienced in both issuing a CPL for plaintiffs and also working with landowners to cancel a CPL if required. There are five different ways that a CPL can be cancelled under the BC Land Title Act. No two cases are the same, but we have a proven track record of getting the very best results for our clients.

Rights-of-way and Restrictive Covenants


As a property owner, you may discover that due to a rights-of-way or a restrictive covenant, others may have a legal right to access your property and may restrict what you’re able to do with your property. 

A right-of-way is when someone has access to your property, while a restrictive covenant is a restriction on your land. Both these restrictions are attached to the property and not to you as the owner so if they remain unchanged, they will carry forward with the property when it’s sold. 

In order to better understand rights-of-way and restrictive covenants, contact our legal team for more information.

Nuisance and Interference with Enjoyment of Real Property

Essentially, private nuisance is an unreasonable and impactful interference with someone’s use and enjoyment of their own property. The nuisance must originate outside of the complainant’s property and doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s an unwanted physical presence on the land. There are all sorts of nuisances that can include noise, pollution, smells, encroachment (trees, structures, vehicles, etc.), vibrations, and more.

To determine if you have an actionable case, contact our legal team for more information and to determine a course of action.

Request a Case Evaluation

Our lawyers and staff offer a personal approach to winning your case. We know how stressful property litigation can become. We will discuss all aspects of your case with you. Helping you through this difficult time is our commitment while providing the most sound and experienced advice and guidance. We are always available to answer your questions and will always keep you informed.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.