The season of thankfulness is sweetest as you enjoy it in the comforts of your own home. Vancouver’s real estate litigation lawyer, Arsen Krekovic of Hoogbruin & Company has helped home buyers secure their homes with confidence in their real estate transactions. Some have overcome the early challenges of finding a home, working out the terms and conditions and financing – a task full of potential and of pitfalls. Many appreciate what an experienced real estate lawyer can bring to their dreams of home ownership and especially the wins a litigator can bring in the case of disputes.
This set of posts covers how your lawyer can help seed your future as a residential real estate buyer or help you secure your sale properly as the real estate lawyer on your home team.
What are the responsibilities of a real estate lawyer?
In most real estate transactions, the lawyer’s role includes Information gathering, due diligence, document preparation and registration. In your home purchase there is record-keeping and filing and where needed assisting with financial issues, such as mortgages or deposits.
Often people don’t connect with a real estate lawyer until they are well into the agreement and purchasing process. Things can get complicated on one of the largest purchases that people will make in their lifetime.
There are advantages to seeking legal counsel early in the home buying process.
What can a real estate lawyer do for a buyer?
An experienced lawyer, especially one well versed in litigation can help you avoid or resolve legal issues that will disrupt your home purchase and if not caught early, your peace of mind and success as a homeowner. These are some issues they can help with:
- Review the Agreement of Purchase and all other legal documents
- Ensure there are no claims listed registered or on file against the property
- Arrange for title insurance
- Ensure you have a valid title upon closing
- Ensure property taxes are up to date
- Calculate the land transfer tax due on closing
- Draw up the mortgage documents
- Close the transaction and ensure all legal and financial conditions are met
- Exchange legal documents and keys with the seller’s lawyer
A lawyer can also help in negotiations. Who can’t benefit from a good deal?
- Your real estate lawyer, if consulted early in the transactions can help you avoid litigation that might arise from faulty choices.
- Navigating the intricacies of provincial as well as all the federal laws that govern purchases of residential real estate.
- In the case a dispute arises between the parties of a real estate transactions — which may be the buyer, seller or lender- legal counsel can help to sort the situation and to recover compensation when it is warranted
Are you a first-time home buyer? Perhaps you are preparing to buy your second or third property. Help from a competent, experienced real estate litigation lawyer can help you navigate Canada’s complicated real estate market. Let Arsen Krekovic be your guide in answering your legal questions and navigating the documents, insurance requirements and documents involved in your residential real estate purchase.
Engage a lawyer before entering a real estate contract. Benefit from their professional expertise and help in closing on your dream home. You can count on the team at Hoogbruin & Company.